Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Fairmount Park, Shady Walk
Fairmount Park, Shady Walk
TitleFairmount Park, Shady Walk
DescriptionPostcard of Shady Walk at Fairmount Park
Historical ArticleShady Walk, Fairmount Park, Kansas City, Mo. is the title of a hand-tinted postcard published by Acmegraph Co., Chicago, near the turn of the century, possibly 1910.

Young ladies with long summer dresses loiter aong a park walkway over a small stream lined with forest trees and lilac bushes in full bloom.

Fairmount Park, near Kansas City's eastern boundary and Independence, was master-minded in 1897 by Arthur E. Stillwell, railroad builder. His Kansas City to Independence railroad, the Independence Airline, ran between the two cities. A stop was made at Fairmount Park on the run from Kansas City.

The amusement park, with an eight-acre lake, boasted the usual park rides and entertainment. It included Shakespearian stock, Swiss bell rigers, aerialists, giant dipper rides, a zoo, horse racing, a nine-hole golf course and fine band music. One Fourth of July the elaborate fireworks attracted 53,000 people.

Patrons often stayed a week. Cottages, without cooking facilities, were available. Patrons enjoyed hearty meals at a large dining hall. Eight cottages were privately owned.

The crowd would include people like Wm. Jennings Bryan, theatrical stars, local Kansas City society, Loula Long (still in braids) and James A. Reed, who usually spoke on Labor Day.

Horse shows held here became the forerunners of our annual American Royal stock show, and a group of young blades at the race track formed a club which later became the Kansas City Athletic club.

Today the park and lake are gone. Winding drives and suburban homes fill the area. Only the Sugar Creek ball park gives a clue. It occupies space once used for a large bathouse, on the old lake front.

The postcard was mailed with a green one-cent stamp to Miss Muriel Peach, 261 N. Pearl Street, Galesburg, Ill. The cancellation stamp is blurred and cannot be read.

Kansas City Times
July 7, 1989

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectParks
Fairmount Park
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000705
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1004 back to results previous next