Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Fairmount Park
Fairmount Park
TitleFairmount Park
DescriptionPostcard of Fairmount Park
Historical ArticleFor years Fairmount park, at the city's eastern limits, was Kansas City's No. 1 bathing beach and amusement park. An 8-acre lake, fed by Cusenbary's springs and a 2,000-acre watershed, emptied into Sugar creek.

Arthur E. Stilwell, Kansas City railroad builder, master-minded the park in 1897. A branch railroad called the Independence Air-Line stopped at Fairmont on the run from Kansas City. Many traveled to the park by horse-drawn buggy on dusty roads.

The 50-acre recreation area offered Shakespearian stock, Swiss Bell Ringers, aerialists, stirring band music, giant dipper rides, zoo. 9-hole golf course, swimming, boating, horse-racing and horse shows. Loula Long made her riding debut there when still a girl in braids. Elaborate fireworks attracted 53,000 to one Fourth of July celebration

Eight cottages with no cooking facilities were owned by such personages as Walton Holmes, Neal S. Doran, auditor for the Stilwell interests, and A. S. Van Valkenburgh. The guests gathered for meals at a large dining hall and the crowd would include people like William Jennings Bryan, theatrical stars, local Kansas City society and James A. Reed who usually spoke on Labor day.

At the race track there a group of young blades formed a club which later became the Kansas City Athletic club. And actually the horse shows held at Fairmont were forerunners of our present American Royal Horse show.

Water pollution, the depression and fires ended park operation in the mid'30s. A chain grocery occupies the site of the old park entrance at U.S. 24 highway and Willow. The bath house shown in the picture has given place to the Sugar Creek ball park.

Kansas City Star
July 6, 1968

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Local SubjectParks
Fairmount Park
Digital FormatJPEG
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1043 back to results previous next