Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
Fidelity National Bank
Fidelity National Bank
TitleFidelity National Bank
DescriptionPostcard of the Fidelity National Bank building at 9th and Walnut
Historical ArticleThe Fidelity Trust company building at the corner of Ninth and Walnut streets was owned and occupied by a banking house which closed its doors during the bank holiday in the 1930s.

Long before its banking days the building served as Kansas City's main post office, custom office, federal assay office and federal court.

The gray stone building, with twin towers, one containing a clock and the other a huge bell, was erected in 1884 by the federal government. Theodore Case, appointed by President Grant in 1873, was postmaster at the time of its construction.

The first free delivery service of the U.S. mail in Kansas City was established early in the administration of Case, with eight regular carriers and two substitutes. The early carriers wore regular street clothes and had small brass plates with a number fastened to their hats.

Three years after completion of this Federal building, President Cleveland and his bride visited Kansas City. He was the first U.S. president to visit here and one of the festivities in his honor was the first Priests of Pallas parade in October, 1887.

The same week President Cleveland spoke to a crowd of 5,000 from the balcony of the Federal building (as pictured) and enthusiastically declared, There is no limit to what a community, living in such a place, and actuated by such a spirit, can do.

The building served as main post office from 1884 until 1900.

Today the site is occupied by the Federal Office building, 911 Walnut street, 35 stories tall and topped by twin towers that are reminiscent of those of its predecessors. Above these is the radar tower weather ball, operated by the government weather bureau, for detection of approaching storms.

Kansas City Star
April 25, 1970

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectFidelity National Bank Building (first)
Buildings
Fidelity Bank
Banks
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000114
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1131 back to results previous next