Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan down Pan up Pan left Pan right Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
10th Street, East from Baltimore
10th Street, East from Baltimore
Title10th Street, East from Baltimore
DescriptionPostcard of 10th Street, East from Baltimore
Historical ArticleDowntown Kansas City was once a series of clay hills dotted here and there with homes. On Baltimore Avenue the topography was particularly irregular.

A chapter, The Newer Kansas City, in Whitney's 1908 History of Kansas City tells of the first development on 10th Street:

The transformation on 10th Street began in 1906 when the First National Bank began the erection of its elegant new building at the northeast corner of 10th Street and Baltimore Avenue. This bank building is said to be the finest exclusive bank building in the West. There are buildings in Kansas City that are more elegant, but they are not used exclusively for bank purposes.

The building was erected at a cost of $350,000. The property has a frontage of 90 feet on 10th and 114 feet on Baltimore. It was purchased for $90,000. The main entrance is on 10th Street and a side entrance is on Baltimore. The Exterior of the building is of pure white selected Georgia stone and six magnificent columns stand on the 10th Street side. The interior is finished in white marble.

The building is three stories high and built on the steel skeleton plan. Bronze doors 13 feet in height guard the entrances. The counters are made of marble and the cages of bronze. The president's and directors' rooms are finished in mahogany and a mantle of marble over the fireplace in the president's room denotes comfort. Draperies and carpets are in green.

The building is fireproof and each desk is provided with a fireproof locker to protect important papers and letters.

First National continues operation in this building today but has greatly enlarged its quarters by additions to the building on the north side and on the east. The post card was made in 1907, the year the bank moved into its new quarters at 10th and Baltimore from a location just north of 9th and Main.

Kansas City Times
May 19, 1973

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectStreets
Baltimore Avenue
10th Street
First National Bank
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000248
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,1250 back to results previous next