Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
9th Street, East from Wyandotte
9th Street, East from Wyandotte
Title9th Street, East from Wyandotte
DescriptionPostcard of 9th Street, East from Wyandotte
Historical ArticleA postcard titled 9th Street east from Wyandotte pictures a street scene of 1905 with horse-and-buggy traffic and the 9th Street cable car tracks which ran west from the Junction, down the steep 9th Street incline to the old Union Depot in the West Bottoms.

At the right a large mortar and pestle hangs over the sidewalk to advertise the Boston Drug Company, at the southeast corner of 9th and Wyandotte. (Today a parking lot is on the site.)

The buildings on the left still stand today and are part of the area of 14 buildings now listed on the National Register of Historic Places as Baltimore Avenue-West Ninth Street Historic District. The buildings were the center of Kansas City's business community in 1905 and today are being restored and put to what the foundation calls adapted use.

From left to right the buildings are: New England Life Building, recently purchased by the Faultless Starch and Bon Ami Company and housing their national headquarters; the Dime Museum Building, built in 1885 by showman Abraham Judah who featured the Wild Man of Borneo at the museum of freaks and curiosities. In 1887 when the Western Gallery of Art occupied the building, the 500-piece collection of art objects purchased in Paris by William Rockhill Nelson was displayed here; next (the light colored building) the Orient Hotel with its bay windows and an entrance to the Lyceum Theater through its lobby, saved from being razed for a new parking lot by the Historic Kansas City Foundation and recently purchased by a private investor who will undertake its rehabilitation. At the corner (9th and Baltimore) was the Bunker Building, which recently was rehabilitated and repainted. It houses the W. A. Bunker Restaurant.

The familiar Baltimore Street landmark, the New York Life Building, is in the left background of the picture at 9th and Baltimore.

The Detroit Publishing Company copyrighted the colored postcard in 1906. The flag cancellation postmark on the reverse side of the card shows a mailing date of Oct. 24, 1906. The card was addressed to Miss Jennie Newberry, Cameron, Mo.

Kansas City Times
March 31, 1978

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local Subject9th Street
New York Life Building
Streets
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000416
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,729 back to results previous next