Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
10th Street, East from Wyandotte
10th Street, East from Wyandotte
Title10th Street, East from Wyandotte
DescriptionPostcard of 10th Street, East from Wyandotte
Historical ArticleTenth Street looking east from Wyandotte, with the tall towers of the Fidelity National Bank & Trust Co. (now a federal office building) in the background, was described as the financial center of Kansas City on the legend printed on the reverse side of the postcard.

At the left is the Graphic Arts Building, built in 1917 to house businesses in the publication, engraving, typesetting and graphic arts trades. F.B. Tarbet was the architect. Special structural considerations were observed for the support of 10-ton printing presses. The eight-story building, known today as Corporate Corners, cost $150,000 to build.

Also at the left is the Shubert Theater. It closed its doors in 1935 and was razed in 1936. Today the site is used as a parking facility for the First National Bank, across the street.

At the foot of 10th and Main, the narrow eight-story building is the one now being razed. The site was originally that of Turner Hall, a German community club.

Max Weil, a clothing merchant who came to Kansas City in 1885 and outgrew his store at 5th and Main, decided in 1895 this corner would be a good location. He negotiated with Frank H. Kump for the erection of a six-story building at a cost of $50,000. F.E. Hill was the architect. The Model Clothing House was to be the most modern store in the West. Six tailors and 32 salesmen were employed. In 1910 the design of architect Walter E. Lovett was used to add an additional two stories to the building, as pictured.

Old city directories show later tenants to have been the Boley Clothing Co., in 1906; the National Reserve Bank in 1910; the Owl Drug Co., in 1917 and the Krigel Jewelry Co., a recent occupant.

A contract has been awarded to the J.E. Dunn Construction Company for the erection on the site of a 350,000-square-foot 18-story office complex, by the Commerce Bank and Tower Properties, Inc.

Kansas City Times
January 27, 1984

AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local Subject10th Street
Streets
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000599
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,903 back to results previous next