Missouri Valley Special Collections
Advanced Search | Help | My Favorites
All Images Local History Index  
add to favorites | reference url back to results previous next
Zoom in Zoom out Pan left Pan right Pan up Pan down Maximum resolution Fit in window Fit to width Rotate left Rotate right Hide/show thumbnail
City Hall & Jackson County Courthouse
City Hall & Jackson County Courthouse
TitleCity Hall & Jackson County Courthouse
DescriptionPostcard of City Hall & the Jackson County Courthouse
Historical ArticleKansas City's dream of a civic center came true when the new county courthouse and City Hall were erected on Oak Street between 11th and 12th. They were built four years apart, the courthouse dedicated Dec. 27, 1934, and City Hall in 1937.

Old newspapers, especially the popular Sunday Star rotogravure section, gave pages of description and pictures of the city's and county's proud achievement.

Mayor Bryce B. Smith moved to his new offices on the 29th floor of City Hall late in October 1937. Furnishings were partly from the old structure of brick, erected by the city in 1892. Walls of the new office were walnut from Jackson County trees. Only one room in the new building was air-cooled, the mayor's. It was loaded with flowers from well-wishers that first day.

Councilmen pictured at their first meeting in the handsome new chambers were D.S. Adams, 2nd District; Frank Backstrom, 4th District; Frank W. Eviston, at large, 4th District; James E. Shoemaker, 3rd; Freman Alford, at large, 3rd; Ruby D. Garrett, at large 2nd; Charles H. Clark, 1st; A.N. Gossett, at large, 1st; H.F. McElroy, city manager.

Downtown Oak Street today is an impressive thoroughfare. . .something new in bright lights, more tranquil and more impressive than the night scenes on 12th Street to which Kansas Citians are accustomed, wrote an enthusiastic reporter on Oct. 31, 1937.

Kansas City was proud and boastful of the achievement. The pioneer town had grown up. The old postcard, printed in color, reflects this pride. It was mailed in 1942 during World War II to a Braymer, Mo., boy, Euguene F. Wooden, stationed in Camp Robinson in California. Wooden, transferred overseas in the 82nd Airborne division was killed on D-Day, June 6, 1944, and is buried in the cemetery at Normandy Beach. His brother, Randall Wooden of Independence, Mo., sent the postcard, removed from the pages of the soldiers album.

Kansas City Times
March 24, 1989
AuthorRay, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Item TypePostcard
CollectionMrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)
See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
LocationSC58
Local SubjectBuildings
Jackson County Courthouse--Kansas City (Third)
City Hall (12th Street)
Digital FormatJPEG
Barcode20000700
RepositoryMissouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri
RightsReproduction (printing, downloading, or copying) of images from Kansas City Public Library requires permission and payment for the following uses, whether digital or print: publication; reproduction of multiple copies; personal, non-educational purposes; and advertising or commercial purposes. Please order prints or digital files and pay use fees through this website. All images must be properly credited to: "Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library, Kansas City, Missouri." Images and texts may be reproduced without prior permission only for purposes of temporary, private study, scholarship, or research. Those using these images and texts assume all responsibility for questions of copyright and privacy that may arise.
add to favorites | reference url: http://kchistory.org/u?/Mrs,999 back to results previous next