Local History Index
Culture & Society
Local History Index
We are working on a NEW Local history website which will replace this version of KCHistory.org. Stay tuned for details!
add to favorites
( 1 )
Search results for:
"Vertical File" fred l lee
Search current collection(s) again
Refine your search
A Visit to the Matthews-Cogswell Tavern Near Buckner, Mo.
Manuscript (number 18) about the history of the tavern, "built in 1855 or 1857," started by Cogswell and inherited by his son-in-law Matthews.
A Visit to the Shawnee Methodist Mission in Shawnee Mission, Kansas
Manuscript (number 6) about the history of the Shawnee Methodist Mission for the Shawnee Indians in present-day Johnson County, Kansas, established in 1830 by Thomas Johnson.
A Visit to Watkin's Mill
Manuscript (number 13) about the history of Watkins Mill in Clay County, Missouri, "four miles north of Excelsior Springs."
Battle of Westport Fought 99 Years Ago This Month
Manuscript (number 12) about the Civil War Battle of Westport.
Charles Spalding--Westport and Kansas City Town Booster
File containing a photo and biographical article about Charles Carroll Spalding, or Charles Spalding (1826-1876), a pioneer promoter and writer of Kansas City. Native of Vermont coming to Kansas City in...
Civil War Lives Again in Southeastern Jackson County
Manuscript (number 15) about the Battle of Lone Jack, on August 16, 1862.
Council Grove, Kansas Designated as a National Historical Landmark
Manuscript (number 19) about the designation of Council Grove, Kansas, as a National Historic Landmark and reasons supporting it, including its role along the Santa Fe Trail.
Daniel Boone: Explorer, Land-Pilot and Surveyor
Manuscript (number 8) about explorer Daniel Boone's (1734-1820) influences on and experiences in Missouri, including his hunting trip at Fort Osage in 1816. Born near Reading, Pennsylvania, dying in Boonslick,...
Manuscript (number 7) about George Champlain Sibley, or George Sibley (1782-1863), factor or head of Fort Osage and namesake of the nearby Jackson County town of Sibley, Missouri. Native of Massachusetts...
Indian Treaty Signed at Ft. Osage November 10, 1808
Series of manuscripts (numbers 1, 2, 3, and 4) about Fort Osage, its fur trading "factory system" with the Osage Indians, and its protective function against the Indians' hostilities.
Jackson County's Famous Jail
Manuscript (number 16) about the history of Jackson County's jail, including the restoration as a museum of the jail at 217 North Main Street in Independence. Description of the first jail structure built...
John G. Neihardt: The Man and His Western Writings--The Missouri-Nebraska Years, 1921-1973
Entire issue of the magazine devoted to the life of author John Neihardt (1881-1973), writer of western American histories (including various "Songs" and a "Cycle") and mountain men, etc. Resident of Nebraska...
Missouri Town -- 1855
Manuscript (number 10) about the historic tourist attraction of Missouri Town 1855, a replica of a pioneer Jackson County settlement next to Lake Jacomo.
Outlaw's Home Rediscovered
Manuscript (number 11) about the residence of outlaw Cole Younger built in 1855 "about four-and-one-half miles south of Lee's Summit, Missouri" near Cole's burial site.
St. Louis' Jefferson National Expansion Memorial
Manuscript (number 9) about the Gateway Arch in Saint Louis, formerly known as the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, commemorating the Louisiana Purchase of 1803, to be completed in 1966 as the tallest...
The Anderson Home in Lexington
Manuscript (number 17) about the home in Lexington, Missouri, built in 1853 by Colonel Oliver Anderson, a veteran of the War of 1812, designed in Greek Revival style, used as a Civil War hospital, and...
Thomas Smart's Acres Grew into Downtown
December 6, 1989
The farm of Thomas A. Smart occupied 80 acres in what later became the heart of downtown. Smart sold 57 acres of his property to Thomas Swope in 1857. The remaining land was divided among his descendants....
Manuscript about Kansas City's Union Cemetery (number 14).
Westport Center was First a Home for Orphaned Boys
August 10, 1988
Article tells of Kansas City's first home for boys. The site of the home, at the intersection of Southwest Trafficway and Westport Road, was originally the house of of James G. Hamilton. It eventually...
add to favorites
( 1 )
14 West Tenth St. | Kansas City, MO 64105 |