American Hereford Association

Embed this image
Description: Postcard of the cattle breeder's building of the American Hereford Association
Location: SC58
Collection: Mrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Historical Article: The old American Hereford Association promotional postcard pictures the cattle breeders' building at 300 W. 11th Street, about 1921. The building was occupied by the association from 1919 to 1953.Cattle, posing in front on the snowy landscape are from a super-imposed photograph of cattle from the herd of O. Harris & Sons, taken at their ranch in Harris, Mo., north of Gallatin.The first secretary of the Hereford Association in 1883 was Charles Gudgel. His office was in his Independence home.After the Hereford people moved from the building pictured to new quarters on Hereford Drive, the Ararat Shrine used the building for many years. Today's occupant is Financial Assurance Inc. The structure is listed in the National Register of Historic Places as a contributing structure in the West 11th Street historic district.A Hereford Association Cattle Show was held in Kansas City in a tent in 1899 and was the first of what became the American Royal shows, held every fall in Kansas City. Today's shows represent all cattle breeds, in addition to the Herefords. Dates for this year's events are Nov. 7 to 20.Hereford headquarters is located today at 1501 Wyandotte.Kansas City TimesOctober 23, 1987
Barcode: 20000689
Item Type: Postcard


Add new comment