City Market, Market House

Embed this image
Description: Postcard of the Market House and the old City Hall at the City Market
Location: SC58
Collection: Mrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Historical Article: The City Market, with colorful striped awnings on the red brick market house, is crowded with farm wagons and loads of fresh garden produce as pictured on a 1913 post card. The old red brick Victorian City Hall at 4th and Main streets is in the background.Customers with long skirts brushing the street cross the square to see and buy. Large canvas umbrellas on the wagons indicate a warm summer sun. Farmers have left their farm homes long before daylight from surrounding counties in order to arrive in time for the market's opening, with loads of vegetables, poultry, eggs, fruit and flowers. Local hucksters are early, too, to fill their wagons for peddling in residential streets to their regular customers.After 88 years occupancy the old City Hall was razed in late 1938, when the new 30-story City Hall was occupied at 11th and Oak streets. The market house was also removed and a new market house was built in 1939 on 5th Street between Main and Walnut. Bond issues in 1941 made additions to the facility possible.Today the farmers have their own section, two open air sheds, with covered shelter and parking facilities for their trucks backed up to outdoor stalls, a convenience for those buying and selling. Two additional sheds are furnished for local hucksters and peddlers.Today's market is busier than ever. In addition to local farm-fresh products, shipped-in fruits, vegetables, fish and cheese are available. Restaurants in the market house are an added convenience.Kansas City TimesMay 12, 1978
Barcode: 20000421
Item Type: sm_modsTypePostcard


Add new comment