Description: Postcard of the bandstand at the second Electric Park.
Creator: Ray, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Collection: Mrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Historical Article: The spacious open-air band shell, just inside the entrance of Electric Park, with its high, domed ceiling, elaborate electric-light chandeliers, comfortable seats and stage large enough to accommodate a 50-piece band, was unequaled in the world, according to John Philip Sousa, march king, who played there with his band for several summer seasons. The Electric Park owners, the Heim brothers, made annual contracts with the best available bands in America, as well as many from Europe, such as Sorrentino's and Scariatti's, from Italy. Matinee and evening concerts were played daily from May to September and were free to those who had paid the park's 10-cent admittance fee. Street-car fare was 5 cents from anywhere in the city and from Kansas City, Kansas, and capacity crowds gathered daily to hear the classical, operatic and popular tunes played by the handsomely uniformed bands. Many in the audience waved palm leaf fans and little girls and young ladies often wore long neck chains or beads with a colorful folding fan attached. Dozens of Electric Park scenes may be found on old post card views of the lake, the natatorium, German Village, landscaped flower beds and grounds, roller coaster and other rides, but cards showing the music pavilion, such as this 1907 one, published by the Acmegraph Company of Chicago, were favorites. Today the entrance to the old park site is occupied by the Village Green apartment complex and shopping center at 48th and the Paseo. Kansas City Times, July 12, 1971.
Item Type: Postcard