Description: Postcard of an Independence street scene and the Temple Lot, dedicated by Joseph Smith, Aug. 3, 1831.
Creator: Ray, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Collection: Mrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Historical Article: The old photographic post card pictures an Independence street scene and the Temple Lot, dedicated by Joseph Smith, Aug. 3, 1831, for the building of a temple. The site was part of a 63-acre plot chosen by Mr. Smith. It was nearly a century before construction started.At the left side of the picture is the old Stone Church. On a plaque near the east door is this information: The Stone Church. The first branch of the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in Independence was organized in 1873. Joseph Smith III on April 6, 1888, laid the cornerstone of this cut sandstone building, for years the pulpit of presidents of the church.Construction of the RLDS Auditorium on the lot started in 1926 and has been used for meetings since 1927, but was not actually considered completed until its dedication in 1962. Funds came from the 1,200 congregations throughout the world. It was debt-free when completed. Causes for delay on construction were the depression and World War II. The complete structure, with additions and improvements, is valued at well over $8 million.Kansas City TimesApril 9, 1982
Item Type: Postcard