Description: Postcard of the Jackson County Courthouse that once stood at 5th and Oak streets.
Creator: Ray, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Collection: Mrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Historical Article: The Jackson County courthouse, built of native stone with several turrets and a slate roof, was opened April 14, 1892. It occupied a square block, Oak to Locust streets, Fifth street to Missouri avenue. It replaced an earlier courthouse at the northeast corner of Second and Main streets, which was built in 1868 by a sock company, an originally was intended for a hotel. The company failed before the building was finished and the county court bought the intended hostelry for $20,000. Two stories were blown off in the tornado of 1886 and the remaining three stories were torn down in 1892, when the impressive new courthouse, as pictured, was built. Because Kansas City was outstripping Independence and the volume of county business was growing in the western division, the court authorized a building spacious enough to accommodate all of the needed offices. Many forward-looking citizens of the day felt the location was too far north, and it proved to be, but it was in use 43 years before it was declared inadequate. On March 23, 1935, the present courthouse, located between Twelfth and Thirteenth and Oak and Locust, was opened. The old fortress-like structure was razed for salvage between 1936 and 1940. Today the entire block is occupied by the truck division of the White Motor company. Kansas City Star, September 20, 1969.
Item Type: Postcard