Description: Postcard of the main lobby at the Muehlebach Hotel.
Creator: Ray, Mrs. Sam (Mildred)
Subject: Hotels; Muehlebach Hotel; Christmas; Muehlebach, George E., Jr.; Muehlebach, George E., Sr.
Date: 1915 ca.
Collection: Mrs. Sam Ray Postcard Collection (SC58)See finding aid: http://localhistory.kclibrary.org/u?/Local,36981
Historical Article: The lobby of the Hotel Muehlebach, with its thick Oriental rugs, writing desks, tall lamps, potted palms, lounge chairs and a roaring wood fire, is pictured on an old promotional post card, one of a set, put out by the hotel shortly after it opened in 1915. This time of the year the room was fragrant with the scent of pine from the huge Christmas tree in the lobby almost reaching up to the ceiling above the mezzanine floor. The mezzanine allowed visitors a place to view the lobby below. Many large dinner and dancing parties were given at the old Muehlebach in the days before the country clubs took over such affairs. Big name bands played for dancing at the Terrace Grill and were especially popular during the holidays. The traditional Yuletide Tea dances for the young set held at the hotel were organized in 1916 by Mrs. Horatio Harmon in a pre-denim day when boys and girls of junior and senior high school age enjoyed a gala afternoon between Christmas and New Year's, dressed in their very best. The buffet fare usually included chicken salad, ham buns and hot chocolate. The tea dances at Christmas time were held at the hotel for 54 years, according to Martha Gaylord, and were only discontinued in the last decade. The Muehlebach was built with funds from the estate of George Muehlebach, who came to Kansas City from Switzerland in 1857 and opened a saddle shop. His farm and vineyard were west of Westport. Later he established a brewery, first located at 18th and Main. The hotel, erected after his death, was leased to the Trianon Hotel Company. George E. Muehlebach, a son, started working for the brewery after his graduation from Spalding's Business College. In 1905 after the death of his father he became president of the brewery. He is remembered as the owner of the Kansas City Blues between the years 1917 and 1932 and for building the old Muehlebach Stadium, later called the Municipal Stadium. Kansas City Times, December 14, 1979.
Item Type: Postcard